Friday, November 15, 2013

Latest and Greatest

For the past couple weeks the kids have been working very hard on creating tote bags for themselves or in most cases, their mothers.  Here are a couple pictures of finished projects:





Each project is building on the next and currently we are working on creating some stuffed monsters.  I see some information shifting around in their brains and once in a while I swear I can see a light bulb turn on.  I love when that happens.  Just yesterday one of the girls exclaimed, " I get it!  We sew everything inside out so that the seam is on the inside!"  Of course I have said this on numerous occasions but the meaning of it has finally sunk in.  The projects are going slower than I originally anticipated so I've had to adjust my expectations quite a bit.  That's fine.  I'm letting the kids direct where we go and what we do.  After the silly creatures comes the month of December and they want to make Christmas presents for their families.  After that, they voted to make pajama bottoms for themselves. 

For the pajama bottoms project we will need to buy fabric.  Most of the fabric that I have had donated is not suitable for garment construction.  I would love to be able to give each kid a $15 gift card to Joann Fabrics so they can experience picking out their own fabric and notions.  If you would like to donate to this, you can send a gift card to:
Escuela Vieau
Fashion Academy
823 S 4th St
Milwaukee, WI 53204

On a really AWESOME note, Walker's Point Center for the Arts (WPCA) is sponsoring my after school program.  They have provided us with some needed scissors, pins, and money for snacks and drinks. They will be helping us out with other items as we go along.  I can't even say how amazing this is.  The scissors that we have been using were awful.  By the end of next week, I believe every kid will have a brand new pair of Fiskars sewing scissors.  SWEET!

Until next week!
harmonie





No comments:

Post a Comment